Sanctuary Church was organized and set in order by Rev. Carl Milton Padgett on November 1, 1914. Rev. Padgett, a Church of God minister, had been conducting a revival in the Orlando area. A number of people were saved the first week of revival and expressed a desire to become members of the Church. On Sunday, November 1, 1914, between the afternoon and evening service, a special meeting was held in the home Andrew and Edith Bisset at 403 America St. Orlando, FL. When the invitation for membership was extended by Rev. Padgett, twelve people come forth and united with the Church, thus creating the first Church of God in Orlando, FL.
Since the original chartering of the Orlando Church of God in 1914, twenty (20) ministers have served as Pastors. The longest term of pastorate was that of Rev. A. V. (Gus) Howell who pastored the church 28 years. Under his leadership, the church was moved from a small concrete block building located on the corner of Pine and Parramore Street to 2200 South Orange Avenue, the congregation worshipped in a tent erected on church owned property abutting property owned and occupied by Branneky Hardware. The new Church of God building, after much toil and labor, was dedicated on Mother's Day in May, 1946.
Since that humble beginning on November 1, 1914, twenty great pastors have served as leaders of the Orlando Church of God, the 20thbeing our present Pastors, John and Lori Alexander. Each has sown their talents, love, dedication and hard work into this ministry bringing countless blessings to our congregation. Much credit is due to Rev. Paul E Blake, under whose leadership, two beautiful buildings were built on our Conway Garden property, providing a home for Conway Learning Center and Conway Christian Prep School. This was the beginning of what would eventually become "Sanctuary Church."
Sanctuary Church is the oldest continuing Pentecostal church in Orlando. The trademark of our past heritage has been the anointing of God upon His people. With that same anointing, by God's grace, this Church will march forward, continuing to win souls until Jesus comes!